Imagine a busy mom in a grocery store, checking out ingredients on her mobile phone while deciding which cereal is best for her kids.
An avid boater at the watersports store, watching video reviews from his friends online before buying his next wakeboard.
A business owner at her desk, comparing VoIP phone prices and high speed internet costs before making a decision.
A newly married couple, scanning ratings and reviews online before choosing a company to install new floors in their condo.
What do all these scenarios have in common? Google defines it as the “Zero Moment of Truth” or “ZMOT,” the moment when you grab your laptop, phone or other device to learn about a product or service you’re considering trying or buying.
The Zero Moment of Truth
According to Google’s Ebook ZMOT: Winning the Zero Moment of Truth, 70% of Americans check out reviews before making a purchase and 79% of consumers use their phones while shopping. Does that surprise you? It shouldn’t. In fact, you’ve probably found yourself asking friends on social media, consulting review sites, or even watching videos before making a decision.
As seen above, the potential buyer interacts with some sort of stimulus: seeing an ad online, a TV commercial, a mailer or newspaper, etc. and then turns to the internet to learn more. Using a variety of mediums during the ZMOT, that person eventually makes a decision, the first moment of truth. The second moment of truth occurs when that person has an experience and writes a review, shares their purchase on social media, or creates a video, which then becomes the next person’s ZMOT.
Today more than ever, this moment of truth cycle plays a major role in the purchasing process. Whether you sell a product or offer a service, at some point, you have to convert your customer. But before you can convert, you have to capture their interest, and that often starts with the ZMOT.
What’s your potential?
Think about your business. Think about your audience. Let’s pretend you own an Air Conditioning company in Boca Raton, FL. It’s mid-August and a homeowner in Boca has an AC breakdown. Do they get out the phonebook and start flipping through? No, not anymore.
They grab their phone and do a quick search. It’s the Zero Moment of Truth. Does your website appear in the results? Can they check out your reviews on Google or Yelp? Could they see if a friend or acquaintance has liked your Facebook page or used your services? Have you used all your online assets to ensure that when it’s the ZMOT, you’re there?
The bigger your online presence, the greater your ZMOT potential.
Where should you be?
Chances are you have some sort of online presence at this point. What’s great about ZMOT potential is that the number opportunities to be found are almost always increasing. Here’s a few we think are key:
• Website – For best results, your site should be mobile-friendly with responsive design, secured with HTTPS, have lots of user-friendly content, and use Google Analytics and Search Console to track your visitors and other important data.
• Maps & Search Results – Google, Yahoo, Bing, Apple are the major search engines of 2016. Each of these platforms also offer map results where you can claim and verify your business location.
• Social Media – Depending on your audience, consider reaching out with a business page or account on Google+, Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, Pinterest, Instagram, Vine, and even Snapchat.
• Business Directories & Review Sites – Yelp, HomeAdvisor, TripAdvisor, YellowPages, BBB, Foursquare… the possibilities are endless. If there is a business directory where you fit, make sure you are there. Claiming your account will allow you to ensure your business information is accurate and respond to reviews. Don’t forget local directories like your city’s Chamber of Commerce.
• YouTube – Now owned by Google, YouTube is actually the second largest search engine. Grow your potential with a Business Channel, and make sure it’s correctly linked to your Google+ My Business Page.
Once you’ve established a presence on these mediums, it’s only the beginning. You can always get more reviews, more Facebook likes, find more directories, and add more content to your website. If you’re looking to capture more leads, you have to grow your ZMOT potential.
If you want to make sure that when it comes down to the zero moment of truth, you are ready and waiting for potential customers to find you, we can help. Whether you need website design, social media management, or better search engine rankings, we’ve got some tricks up our sleeves. To get started, give us a call at 561-923-9698 or drop us a line at [email protected].